Today we read Wake Up, Groundhog! by Susanna Leonard Hill.
For snack we had Philadelphia cheese steaks and Hershey’s chocolate bars. Before anyone got chocolate, though, they had to show off their math skills.
Originally published on Aug 16, 2020.
1. Book List: Pennsylvania EPIC
Carnegie Science Center has several great online science experiments that are safe for your kids to do independently.
3. Math: We PROMISE this activity will be fun.
PA Promise for Children has a great Math STEM activity for you. A Beaver County PA Pre-K Counts teacher, Kim Sabella at Tiny Tot Child Development Center incorporated recycled materials into an engaging STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) activity with her preschool classroom. PA Promise
4. History: Pennsylvania is one of the richest states for history. We however decided to take a different turn for the PA history lesson. BASEBALL.
Students will: 1. identify the definition of the word “onomastics.” 2. utilize the origins of the names and mascots of the following baseball teams – Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Phillies, and Philadelphia Athletics. 3. create a team name and mascot for their own class, supporting their decisions with a clear explanation of the reason for their choices.
5. Writing: The Pennsylvania Capitol has some great activities. Guided by Ben Franklin and William Penn, this workbook will help you learn a little about our great state and all the things that make it so special. In this book, you will find games, puzzles, word searches and other fun activities that will also teach you more about Pennsylvania’s history, government, and geography. http://www.pacapitol.com/Resources/ViewFile.cfm?File=%2FResources%2FPDF%2FEducational%2FWilliam%2DPenns%2DGuide%2Dto%2DPennsylvania%2DWorkbook%2Epdf
6. Art: Draw the Liberty Bell
7. YA Book Pick: The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones is narrated by the spirit of a murdered teenage girl as she watches her family and friends. The Lovely Bones story takes place in Norristown, Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Capitol Scavenger Hunt
We are flooded with home school info right now. There is a home school You tube that has a super cool video on Pennsylvania.
Bonus: Punxsutawney Phil ( Happy Groundhog Day)
Did you know Punxsutawney Phil lives at the Library. https://www.punxsutawneylibrary.org/