Friends of the Library Monday August 3, 2020
Meeting was called to order at 6:05pm
- LeeAnne called the meeting to order and introduced herself as the current FOL President, with her intent to step down by the end of the meeting.
- LeeAnne informed the group at large that she is still be around, but her life has become hectic and that she needed some time to take a step back. She will also continue to help in the transition for the new board.
- LeeAnne then asked the group at large to introduce themselves and give a quick overview as to why they were attending.
- Members and people present were:
NAME FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
Sherry Scheline Head Librarian
Sarah Roach Librarian
Amanda Vrany Member
Amy Stavynskyy Vice President
Beth Heflin Member
Kim Drake Member
CeCe Carson Member
Laura Bettis Library Board Member
Lisa Andresen Library Board Member
LeeAnne Zwinkel President FOL
Leslie Hansen Member
Marta Frost Member
Melissa Maini Member
Karen Tatum Ternes Member
Peter Zwinkel Member
Cliff Scheline Member
Cathy Scheline Member
Indigo • LeeAnne preceded to inform the group that as the board stands there are three positions open that needed to be
filled Secretary, Treasurer, and President and the basic outline of the responsibilities of each position.
- LeeAnne then reviewed the financial position of the FOL for people to know about the Treasurer position.
- Last year’s fundraiser made about $3000, from collecting donations and after major expenses
- There are annual Chamber of Commerce dues
- FOL pays to be a part of “Idaho Non-Profits”
- FOL is also part of “Idaho Gives” that brings in about $3000
- Last year the FOL gave $300 to the Rotary Club in McCall
- FOL provided $25 for Payette Lakes Ski ($25)
- Because of Covid, the FOL gave $2000 for e-books and then Cascade FOL, and McCall FOL matched the donation
- All the rest of the information for the Treasurer is in a binder. The end of the FOL year is Oct 1
- The Secretary position requires notes taken at every meeting, notification via social media and newspaper.
- The President carries out the meeting and is responsible to be sure all positions and their responsibilities and being carried out.
- LeeAnne also said that there is a basket of information for the president with paper bits and leftover pieces from previous meetings.
- Laura then did a quick review as to the difference between the Board vs FOL.
- The Board is a 6-year term.
- Because it is a Public Library District it is also a publicly elected position.
- There was a brief review on the history of FOL, the Library use to be behind the Flight of Fancy bakery and that the FOL is older that the Library itself because of that.
- Sherry also explained that because the Library is a District public entity it also has the ability for grants with the idea of training people for their position. For Example: if you were elected to Treasurer but had no idea how to do it then you could take a training class to help you perform your job.
- Lisa Anderson then gave an update on the expansion of the Library.
- They have about $120 k in the funding.
- All the money must be Fundraised and cannot come from taxes.
- To help FOL can apply for grants.
- Laura suggested that FOL works with the board so that they do not double dip on the same grants.
- Sherry currently does “Mini Grant Requesting”.
- We are also part of Amazon Smiles.
- The Board initially liked separate purchasing for in-house, purpose – because it was easier to present on forms.
BREAK • Karen moved to nominate –
- Cece for Secretary of Social Media and Marketing
- Amanda for President
- Beth for Treasurer
- Kim for Recording Secretary
- Amy moved to select as a slate.
- Cathy seconded.
- None opposed, vote unanimously passed.
- Amy moved to for a committee on Swag and merchandise.
- Laura suggested to have it initially be voluntary for the first month until inventory could be taken.
- Karen offered to Lead on Swag inventory with the Marta and Leslie willing to assist.
- There will be a need for Volunteers to help with the remaining Donnelly Farmers Markets.
- Amy will send out list.
- All FOL members need 40 hours of volunteer time in a year and this is a great way to get it accomplished.
- In last minute additions LeeAnne mentioned that she will look for all the code and passwords to pass on and share and that we get electronic bank statements.
- Sherry reviewed the previous week’s book sale and that the Library made over a thousand dollars.
• Cliff moved to end the meeting, and thanked LeeAnne for all her work and effort, Marta seconded. Meeting was ended at 7:50pm