Our first state was Alaska. We chose Alaska because it was the first enumeration. Patience Fredrickson the State Librarian in Alaska sent us a wonderful package.
The 2020 Census started on January 21, 2020, in Toksook Bay, Alaska. This once-a-decade population count determines how much funding our communities receive for local services, provides data that inform businesses that grow our economy, and helps determine our state’s legislative districts. http://alaskacounts.org/
Click here to learn more about the Census in Alaska: HERE
- Reading List: Alaska on EPIC Our classroom code is MPZ6722 please email Miss Sherry if you have any difficulty accessing the reading list.
- Math: How BIG is Alaska? Fun math activity is draw the shape of Alaska to a small scale and one of Idaho in the same scale and see how many Idaho shapes can fit inside. Try it with a few other states but estimate your guess first using math. Alaska is 663,267 sq miles.
- Science: In our package from Alaska, there were several things from the Alaska Fish and Game. The Alaska Fish and Game has a number of great handouts on their webpage. Click here and complete one of the great online brochures. Alaska Fish and Game
- Writing: Take 10-15 minutes and write a short story about gold in Alaska. Be creative. Gold could be anything from the sunrise to the actual Gold Rush.
- Recommended Book Pick: Miss Sherry’s Recommended Book Pick is Call Of The Wild.
- History: Toksook Bay is not the first Alaskan village to host the Census enumeration. Take a few minutes and research the Alaska Census. #EveryoneCounts #EveryoneHasAStory A great resource for history of Alaska is Alaska’s Digital Archives.
7. Art: It’s coloring time. PBS and Alaska Counts have created downloadable coloring sheets featuring Molly Of Denali. Molly Of Denali / Alaska CountsPBS has so many great opportunities featuring Molly of Denali. They even have an app. specifically geared to children featuring Molly. Molly of Denali
For a delicious treat at home try to make Baked Alaska.
Instagram LIVE: Alaska
We revisited Alaska with Around the World in 80 Days – Donnelly Public Library District (lili.org)